Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? The answer is always the same whether you choose to update to a more advanced model such as cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: your used hearing aids need to be donated rather than getting rid of.
There are plenty of people dealing with loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and a number of institutions out there that collect and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- 91% of adults who have loss of hearing are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Fewer than 30% of people over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
This is extremely troubling. Because neglected hearing loss has been associated with multiple health issues from a greater risk of falling to mental decline and depression. In fact, new research comes out all the time showing how important hearing is to your overall health. These health problems can be prevented and in certain instances reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be a very persuasive point. But that cost can actually be decreased by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 each year, it might simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have a huge impact on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It could also help a child in school that has a hard time hearing, which could impact their ability to enter into higher education and make a decent living when they get older.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
There are lots of volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Stop by and we can help you find a recycling program. Or you can just give us a call.